Flu season is coming up and consuming garlic is one of the BEST ways to boost your immune system and avoid getting sick. Also, with fall being here soup season is in. One of our favorite soups is garlic soup. We simply can’t get enough of that pungent creamy taste and with all those amazing healing ingredients there is no reason why we should hold back on making this recipe all winter long!
One of the main beneficial nutritional components in garlic, allicin, is somewhat destroyed during the cooking process, however, it has been shown in studies that other nutrients may very well stay intact and that the benefits of garlic can still be had by simply increasing the amount of garlic used.
I am pretty sure that 50 cloves should do the trick! Don’t you?
- 50 cloves of garlic (25 peeled, 25 unpeeled)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. organic grass fed butter (or extra coconut oil for vegan version)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped finely
- ½ tsp. paprika (if you like a smoky taste use smoked paprika. It’s deliscious!)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dry white wine (optional. Alternatively replace with extra broth)
- 3 ½ cups bone broth (chicken, beef, lamb or vegetable stock)
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- Lemon juice
- Salt n pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Crush peeled cloves and set aside. (This will activate the allicin and preserve some of the benefits even when cooked)
- Take the unpeeled cloves and put them in a small oven dish and add 1 tbsp coconut oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Cover tightly with tin foil and roast in oven for 45 minutes.
- Once done, remove from oven, let cool, and once cool enough to the touch, use your fingers to gently squeeze out the garlic. Set aside.
- In a medium (at least 2 quarts) pot, heat remaining tbsp. of coconut oil and and butter and add onions. Sauté on medium heat until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add chopped thyme, paprika, bay leaf and all the garlic and sauté for another minute or so.
- Add wine and broth and bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth and return to pot.
- Add coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return to heat for about 5 – 10 minutes.
Serve with freshly shaved Parmesan and grain free bread on the side.
To receive more benefits from garlic, watch this short video on Why You Should Swallow Raw Garlic.