- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 (19 ounce) BPA-free can organic garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), half the liquid reserved
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons raw tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil (Olive Oil Council Certified)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- In a food processor or blender, add the garlic and the garbanzo beans reserving about a tablespoon for garnish.
- Add lemon juice, tahini and salt in food processor or blender.
- Blend until creamy and well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with cumin and drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Garnish with reserved garbanzo beans.
Serve with organic carrot and celery sticks, toasted pita bread or on 1/2 inch cucumber slices.
You can make different kinds of hummus flavors.
- Cilantro Hummus: add a small bunch of cilantro to the blender.
- Sun dried Tomato Hummus: add 2 tbsp of chopped sun dried tomatoes in oil to the blender.
- Red Pepper Hummus: add 1/2 a deseeded pepper to the blender.
- Beet Hummus: add 1 beet, boiled until soft, peeled and chopped to the blender.
- Cumin Hummus: increase cumin to 1 teaspoon.
- Lime Hummus: Swap out lemon juice for juice of 1 whole lime.
- 3 Olive Blend Hummus: Add 3 tsp of chopped olives. 1 tsp Green, 1 tsp Black, 1 tsp Kalamata (remember to remove pits)
- Artichoke Hummus: Add 2 tbsp artichokes marinated in olive oil to food processor.
- Jalapeño Hummus: Add 1 medium deseeded raw jalapeño to food processor
- Pesto Hummus: Stir 2 tbsp pesto to recipe after blending.
- If you have the time, for a richer creamier texture, remove skin from each bean before blending.
- For an even healthier recipe, we recommend you get your garbanzo beans dried. Soak them overnight and then boil them for about 1 hour, cool and proceed with recipe. Remember to reserve about 1/4 cup of the boiling water.