What is Sole
Aside from being a flat fish and the bottom of a foot or shoe, Sole (pronounced “sol-ay”) is a solution of water and salt where the water has reached a salt saturation level of 26%.
First of all, please note that we are not talking about table salt here. Table salt is highly toxic. It is natural salt that has been refined and stripped of all its life giving minerals (which, as it happens, are sold by the manufacturer to supplement companies) only leaving sodium and potassium. Then, it is dried at over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit thus altering the natural chemical structure of the salt. Furthermore, table salt often has ferrocyanide, talc, and silica aluminate added to it to make it more free flowing and to prevent it from clumping. In fact, despite talc being banned in all other food products due to its toxicity, the FDA has a special provision allowing talc in table salt up to 2%. Table salt has been shown in several studies to increase blood pressure significantly as well as promote hypertension, dehydration and fluid retention. Too much table salt may also increase your risk of stomach cancer, kidney stones and kidney disease, osteoporosis, heart disease, heart attacks and heart failure.
No, the salt we are referring to is a natural unrefined salt found deep inside the salt mines at the foot hills of the Himalayan mountains in Pakistan. It is over 250 million years old and as such was created way before man polluted the earth. It is also the only salt that contains all 84 trace minerals that are essential for life.
Sole is also known as the “mother soup” of all life because the ratio of water to salt concentration in our blood is the same as that of the primal ocean. The crystalline Sole contains all the elements necessary to create life. Our bodies are predominantly made of water and salt and as such makes Sole one of the most fundamental things you can take for good health and wellness.
Extremely cheap and effective, Sole is an electrolyte-dense brine that is taken as a supplement every morning.
How to Make Sole
In a glass container such as a mason jar, add 1/3 Himalayan salt to 2/3 water. Make sure you leave a good 2 inches of head space. It is preferable that you use a high quality artesian spring water or water from a filter that mimics water in nature. When at home, we like to use this water filter and when we travel, and have no other choice than to buy bottled water, we like to use Fiji water. Cover it with a plastic lid. This is very important as salt will react with anything metal. Alternatively, if you don’t have a plastic lid, you could use a doubled up piece of cheesecloth and a rubber band to cover the jar.
Give it a good shake or stir and then allow the solution to sit for 24 hours or overnight. The salt will begin to dissolve into the water until it has reached its saturation point. There must still be salt left in the bottom of the jar. If there isn’t, then add more salt and wait another 24 hours.
Sole can be kept on your kitchen counter or in your cupboard and never goes bad as salt is a natural preservative. You could literally keep it forever.
How to Take Sole
Take one teaspoon of pure Sole and mix it in a glass of high quality water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Bottoms up! Remember to use a plastic or wooden spoon.
The Many Benefits of Sole
- Supports healthy digestion. The stomach and intestinal activity (peristalsis) is stimulated within minutes, which in turn stimulates the metabolism and digestion process. Already in the mouth Sole supports digestion by encouraging amylase in the saliva to be produced. Amylase is an enzyme that helps digest carbohydrates. Once in the stomach, Sole promotes hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) as well as enzymes from the glands in the stomach lining to aid in the breakdown of foods. Further down in the colon secretions of the intestinal tract and liver are stimulated. So as you can see, Sole supports the entire digestive process from end to end!
- Counters dehydration. Contrary to table salt which promotes dehydration, Sole actually aids the cells in absorbing adequate fluids. When taking Sole, you will notice that even when increasing your daily water intake, you will not run to the bathroom as often.
- Great for the skin. Sole is amazing for acne, psoriasis, neurodermatitis and eczema. One of the main reasons for this is that the skin is a reflection of the conditions in our intestines. For example, eczema and skin irritations, especially around the mouth, are an indication of disrupted intestinal flora. As Sole helps to cleanse the colon this will show in the skin! Sole also contains minerals that promote good skin such as Chromium, Zinc, Iodine and Sulfur. Furthermore, as Sole aids the cells in retaining water, your skin cells will be more plump thus reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Supports thyroid and adrenal function. Optimal sodium levels are crucial for the adrenal glands. Also, the adrenal glands proper functioning is dependent on the levels on zinc present in the body. Both are abundantly present in Sole and really help offset adrenal stress and fatigue. Iodine is the most important nutrient for thyroid health and balancing. Just half a gram of Himalayan crystal salt daily provides 250 micrograms of iodine—over 150% of the amount the average body needs each day. Sole is a great way to provide a large percentage of that.
- Supports weight loss. Many people experience an improvement in blood sugar balance and reduced cravings when starting to take Sole on a daily basis. Two factors that play a key part in weight loss.
- Helps prevent varicose veins and spider veins. Avoiding those painful and unsightly veins is a simple question of having enough minerals in the blood to promote strong and healthy veins. One teaspoon of Sole daily will provide you with the necessary minerals required.
- Promotes good quality sleep. The trace minerals found in Sole have a calming effect on the nervous system and are known to reduce stress and cortisol levels in the body thus promoting deep and relaxed sleep.
- Decreases incidences of muscle cramps. Muscle cramps are often a result of a depletion of minerals and an imbalance of electrolytes. Calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium are all important minerals in the support of muscles and are all present in Sole.
- Reduces blood pressure. Contrary to table salt which is a no-no for people with high blood pressure, Sole can help lower blood pressure within 15 minutes. This only applies to people with high blood pressure. For people with low blood pressure, their pressure will rise and find its perfect balance. In fact, a 4 year study from the US showed that people with low salt concentrations in their urine were 4 times more likely to suffer from a heart attack than those with normal salt levels.
- Great for bones and teeth. One of the theories about Osteoporosis is that the body will leach minerals from the bones when it is deficient in these or when it is too acidic as the minerals help to alkalize the body. By supplying the body with adequate minerals and as Sole is alkalizing, this will help in the prevention of Osteoporosis. Sole is a great support in the building, strengthening and remineralization of teeth and bones.
- Supports addiction withdrawals. A study of heroin addicts conducted in Zurich, Switzerland, showed that the cravings decreased significantly when supported with Sole Therapy. Other addictions to substances such alcohol, nicotine and white refined sugar are likewise helped.
- Harmonizes the acid/alkaline balance in the body. Sole is naturally alkaline and helps bring back neutral pH in the blood. This is important for overall health and anti-aging.
- Helps prevent kidney and gallbladder stones. Sole helps to dissolve and eliminate sediments which lead to stones and various forms of rheumatism such as arthritis and kidney and gall bladder stones.
- Detoxifies. The detoxifying properties of Sole aid in flushing out heavy metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic and amalgam. It also helps release any mucous plug that might be sitting in your intestines.
- Significantly boosts energy levels. As Sole is filled with minerals, electrolytes and is deeply hydrating, it supports the body’s sustained energy levels throughout the day. This is a wonderful and much more efficient alternative to coffee that will only give you a temporary boost of a few hours and then a crash encouraging yet another cup. Coffee also depletes B Vitamins and is taxing on your glandular system. So switch to Sole!
- Promotes healthy arteries and heart. Sole can break apart molecular compounds and therefore aids in the breakdown of calcification in the arteries. The consumption of Sole has also been shown to help regularize the heart beat and as it helps in reducing blood pressure reduces the risks of heart attacks.
- Alleviates allergies. Salt is a powerful natural anti-histamine and Sole has been shown in studies to have quite a dramatic impact on allergies. If you have allergies, not only are you encouraged to drink Sole, but also use it in nasal irrigation to soothe the mucous membranes, as an eye wash to relieve itchy eyes and also as an inhalation to help the lungs breathe easier and deeper.
When starting Sole therapy, the body will often go through a detoxification process. Sometimes, this can result in loose stools or aggravate rashes. This is a good sign that it is working and should not last more than a few days. You are encouraged to push on through.
Aside from drinking Sole, it also has many other applications.
- Sole can be used for nasal irrigation with a neti pot. This is fantastic for anyone with sinus congestion, irritation or allergies. (1% solution)
- Sole can be used as inhalation therapy which helps ease any respiratory problems. Especially issues affecting the deeper respiratory pathways such as asthma. Sole aids in clearing the lungs of mucous plug and phlegm. Simply boil some water and pour it into a bowl with some Sole. Sitting at a table, put the bowl in front of you, lean forward with your face over the bowl and cover your head with a towel. Sit there, inhaling deeply for about 20 minutes. (8% solution)
- Sole is wonderful as an eye wash. Great for irritated eyes from hay fever and to remove debris that might be caught in the eye. It is also an effective remedy for conjunctivitis and eye infections. (1% solution)
- Detox bath. A Sole bath is wonderful for restoring a tired body and mind and has the cleansing effect of a 3 day fast! (1% solution. So for a bath tub that holds 28 gallons you would need 2.35 pounds of salt)
- As a topical, Sole helps to regulate the storage of fatty tissue and balance the pH of the skin.
- Using a wrap soaked with Sole. A wrap can help relieve pain and reduce swelling from sprained muscles, sore joints, arthritic pains and gout (for the latter 2, it is also recommended to drink Sole.) It can also aid in the healing of open wounds. Sole wraps are also very effective in lowering a fever.
- A foot bath with a solution of Sole can work wonders for athlete’s foot. Because athlete’s foot is essentially a fungus and grows in an acidic and damp environment, the alkalizing effect of Sole can completely eliminate it. Furthermore Sole is naturally anti-bacterial,anti–fungal & anti-microbial. Also, after the foot bath, it is recommended that you dry your feet and then dab pure undiluted Sole onto the toe nails or fungus infected areas and allow to air dry. The salt will draw out the moisture in which the fungus likes to live.
Himalayan salt and Sole has so many more benefits than what we have mentioned above. It is incredible the variety of ailments that this natural substance can have a positive impact on. It is a gift from the Earth to you. Suffice to say that there is no reason whatsoever that you cannot start incorporating Sole Therapy into your daily life. It is cheap, it is real easy to do and it is such a powerful supplement… a fundamental cornerstone for optimal wellness!
Here is the brand that we use. It is certified and a REALLY good price!
For more information on how to use Sole therapy and the dilution ratios, we highly recommend a book called Water & Salt – The Essence of Life.
About the Author: Tinna Hawkins is a 9th generation Wise Woman and an avid health nut! For the last 13 years, she has been helping people with their health as a Wellness Consultant. She is a strong proponent of traditional and ancestral nutrition, cooking from scratch, medicinal herbs and essential oils, yoga, meditation, toxin-free personal and home care products, an active lifestyle, supplementation and a positive outlook on life! Together with her husband, Dr Budweiser, they own and operate Weiser Living. www.weiserliving.com